View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rykga
Officer
I got aggro!!

re: Tuesday Aug 16 Recap

The logs are here for your viewing pleasure.

The clock notes:

Our first pull was at 5:05 server. I know Thes was stuck in traffic and Jayme got a phone call, but we can easily do the first pull with a few less people. Let's aim for 5 server on the dot next time!

Trash to Shannox: 40:27

This is including BH, which is awesome. Our pace has really improved over the past few weeks. Let's keep it up.

Trash to Beth: 6:46

Trash to Rhyolith: 6:56

I didn't time our wipes on Rhyolith or how long our breaks got drawn out because we did so awesome until Beth died, but now I wish I had.

There were a lot of random AFKs last night. Now I can understand computer issues, pets going wild and families who are feeling chatty. But anything that can wait for the break should wait for the break.

The problem with random AFKs is this:

Person A: BRB one sec.

Person B: Oh, while we're waiting, I'm going for a bio.

Person C: Oh, if he's going, I'll install an addon, BRB.

By then Person A will be back, but we have to wait on Person B and C. And by the time they get back,

1) We've wasted quite a bit of time.
2) Our concentration is broken and we'll wipe to stupid mistakes.

We take a break every hour. If you can't hold out that long, pee before the raid, put your drinks in a cooler (I've heard of some raiders with mini-fridges next to the computer), do a computer restart before invites...

Rhyolith:

8% wipe! We totally have it in us!

I'm quite convinced he'll go down on Thursday. The raid fatigue toward the end of last night was pretty obvious.

Here's the hall of shame of those getting hit by Volcano Eruptions (the "Lines"):
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/dn5vjx5thniqm0jw/spell/98492/?enc=bosses&boss=52558
(Click on the "Debuff" tab to see the number of times each person was hit)

Grats to D for being the one hit the least by lines.

For phase 2 - are we able to tell when we're about to transition? I know we can't target the boss himself, but are we able to tell from the legs or his buff stacks?

If we can get a heads up a few seconds before the transition, it would give us time to regroup, retarget (since I believe the adds despawn during the transition anway) and get our fingers hovering over our best CD.
Thespeus
Thespeus
Manager
MENSA Mentor

Excellent points to bring up.

First off, everyone did an excellent job last night on our kills and attempts. A nice start to the night (after BH) by ONE-SHOTTING Shannox and Beth'tilac! I know we would've liked to have all of us alive at the end of Beth'tilac, but that was an epic kill with 2 people alive! Everyone did great. Whatever changes you guys made obviously paid off, and our tighter approach worked beautifully.

Secondly, you guys kicked ass on Rhyolith attempts. Getting him to 8% on the first night is exactly the kind of progress I know we all like to see. A couple things:

- Lines were among the biggest issues for us. Those things hit for a lot, so avoid them at all costs. This will save on mana for the healers for phase 2. Because of this, Sam and the healers will be trying to position us away from volcanoes so we have more time to avoid them.

- Steering was awesome by James and Cory. Keep it up. We want to hit as few dormant volcanoes as possible, and get to the active ones ASAP, since the active ones AoE the raid and cause a stacking debuff that increases our fire damage taken.

- Obviously we know that when he gets to 25%, he gets into phase 2. Not sure if this was mentioned, but I just read that his body can take damage, too. It won't affect his movement. Thus, any downtime that the ranged have should be focused on his body. The sooner he gets to 25%, the lower our fire damage debuffs are, the further he is from his "Superheated" soft enrage that we've both come close to and hit.

- An option we have, if we need it, is to possibly single-tank it. I've seen a lot of strategies where one tank picks up all the adds, and they're AoE'd down from a distance. No need to switch. Our current strat is working really well. If we just tighten it up, it should be an easy kill. This is just an option.

- Whoever is tanking the Shard doesn't need to go as far away. Those of us in the ranged group were out of rage of the Shard, making it hard to DPS or Heal. It only needs to be about 15 yards away, and not on the other side of the plateau. Again, less shifting we have to do, the more DPS/Healing uptime we can have.

- Bandages. That little known thing we (myself included) always forget. In that transition, can we DPS? If not, using a bandage can give us that advantage to get that last 8% down. HE DIES THURSDAY!!

Other things:

- AFKs were a little out of control last night. Like Jenn said, we do a break every hour, and I've even extended them to give a little extra time to get whatever is needed. When someone goes offline or has an emergency AFK, we don't know how soon that person will be back. Please hold your AFK until the break unless it absolutely can't be avoided.

- I'd like everyone to read up and study both Baleroc and Alysrazor by next week. Baleroc specifically by Thursday. This was partly my fault, too. We rocked Beth'tilac. We need to be ready to rock these other bosses and be prepared to move on.

- Potions. This hasn't been addressed yet, but I'd like people to start making sure they're using whatever pots are necessary. DPS should be using DPS flasks appropriate for your spec/class. In situations where we can DPS the boss right off the top, we can "double pot"... use your pot right before the pull, so then you get to use another one later in the fight. Again, this hasn't been addressed, so I don't know who's not using them or not. Figure out what pot is the biggest throughput increase for you, and get with someone in raid leadership and we'll get it worked out.
Reumant
Officer
I play my own version of WoW

Well done guys, it was awesome just listening to the progress last night over vent. I will be back to raiding on thursday if I am needed and hopefully I can add to the mix and help out where needed.
Thespeus
Thespeus
Manager
MENSA Mentor

You'll be welcome back with open arms, Jeff. Even with you gone, you've put forward a lot of dedication. But...you do remember what a raid is, right? Been a while since you've seen one....

Hey, I think I may have been responsible for at least one AFK you talk about but it was for like 30 seconds, I tried to say something... Anyways, I'll lay off the drinks etc pre raid .

The steering on that third boss was a pain at the start, we will certainly need a bit of help starting out. I think hitting inactive volcanoes is OK when trying to avoid him hitting the lava. There was a time where we reached phase 2 and we hit 2x as many inactive as active so its not a huge mistake to hit them. Jayme and Jimmy were doing great with help on the boss when we asked for it. THe part about attacking him b4 p2 on the body doesn't work; the body cannot be targeted. His legs represent his entire health so when his stacks are low ( around 20 or less ) is when outside DPS can help. Getting to p2 is the hardest part, so once me and Maulin can get it down, we've got this. We just got to be ready for p2 madness; all cd's should be up.

Manager
MENSA Mentor

Nibirue1 wrote:
THe part about attacking him b4 p2 on the body doesn't work; the body cannot be targeted. His legs represent his entire health so when his stacks are low ( around 20 or less ) is when outside DPS can help. Getting to p2 is the hardest part, so once me and Maulin can get it down, we've got this. We just got to be ready for p2 madness; all cd's should be up.

Okay, awesome insight, Cory. I just read in a couple places that his body can be targeted, which I was assuming was after the fight started.

That being said, we need to try to get to p2 faster, which means ranged DPS will have to turn and start workin' on his legs, too, without hurting his movement.
Nibirue1

Thespeus wrote:
Nibirue1 wrote:
THe part about attacking him b4 p2 on the body doesn't work; the body cannot be targeted. His legs represent his entire health so when his stacks are low ( around 20 or less ) is when outside DPS can help. Getting to p2 is the hardest part, so once me and Maulin can get it down, we've got this. We just got to be ready for p2 madness; all cd's should be up.

Okay, awesome insight, Cory. I just read in a couple places that his body can be targeted, which I was assuming was after the fight started.

That being said, we need to try to get to p2 faster, which means ranged DPS will have to turn and start workin' on his legs, too, without hurting his movement.

Hmm i guess you might be able to target after the fight starts, but its not really a big deal, his whole body shares a health pool. I honestly think the weak link in the fight is the turning of the boss; all wipes save 2 were due to him drinking lava

Manager
MENSA Mentor

Nibirue1 wrote:
Hmm i guess you might be able to target after the fight starts, but its not really a big deal, his whole body shares a health pool. I honestly think the weak link in the fight is the turning of the boss; all wipes save 2 were due to him drinking lava

If that is the case, then the whole point to hitting this body is that they don't screw up what you guys are doing on the feet. Since it shares a health pool, it all goes to the same place. The only difference is the ranged hitting his body doesn't affect his movement.

I play my own version of WoW

All I heard is "pot before pull"

Scotty, you are once again proven to be our MVP

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team Sport Forum Index -> Raiding All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: