View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespeus
Thespeus
Manager
MENSA Mentor

re: Thurs 9/29 Recap

Overall, a really great job on Thursday, guys and girls. We had to make a few roster changes throughout the night, and I'm sincerely thankful that everyone was so gracious with the changes. On progression fights with Ragnaros, we will have to play around with our roster; that's the just reality. I know I probably don't need to say this, but I'll put it out there anyways: Any time a roster change is made, it's not personal in the slightest. Everyone on this team is here because not only do you show significant dedication to the success of this team, but you also add a positive energy that a lot of other raid teams would be only so lucky to have. We truly are blessed to have a group of people that are just awesome to be around.

Now, on to brass taxes:

Volcanus

This goes without saying, but we spanked this fight hard. Once we worked some kinks out, it was a two-shot. To the healers (who all did very well), remember that those roots need to be dispeled immediate following his AoE. Those roots tick for about 10k/second, so the faster the better. If we have a priest, Mass Dispel should be priority. If you can cleanse yourself, DPS, even better. On heavy raid damage fights, be conscious of your own defensive cooldowns. Dwarves have Stoneform, Draenei have Gift of the Naaru, or various class-related cooldowns. This is usually only 1 global cooldown every 2-3 minutes, but can help us out a lot for those phases.

Ragnaros

Phase 1:

- Definitely our strongest phase. Everyone is doing a great job of being spread out, and the tripping of the Magma Traps is going really well. However, don't assume that it's okay to just run and grab the trap. Double check and make sure we're all topped off before you run to trip it. We lost someone that way during an attempt. Just make a quick check of the raid's health. If it's mostly full, go for it. Anything less that ~2/3 health, wait a little bit.

- Remember to not Kitty Leap behind the boss....

First Transition Phase:

- We're getting there. We have some attempts where this phase is flawless. Other ones, it's obviously not. Go over those attempts in your head and see if you can pin-point what was going so well in those successful attempts and recreate it. A lot of what I've been reading is that it's most important to get them to 50%, then kill them. So, the closest one to 50%, then the next to 50%, etc, then start killing them once slowed. Something to consider. Getting to 50% is a priority to slow them down.

- Another thing we may want to consider is having Joseph go boomkin. When I was elemental, my knockback seemed to help. So, if Joseph is able to maintain the same amount of DPS, that knockback might help us in a pinch. Again, something to toy around with.

Second Phase:

- Overall, incredibly solid as well. Everyone's doing a great job of staying to the sides then grouping up. That works really well for us.

- What was hurting us the most in this phase is the slow response to getting out of Engulfing Flames and Sulfuras. It simply is going to become a multi-tasking phase where you have to be ready for all of them. There is more than enough time to get out of both. Once we clean this phase up, we'll have no problem getting to the next transition.

Second Transition Phase:

- Ultimately, the same as the first phase, just adding in two adds and a "flame trail" mechanic. I think we get caught by surprise with this phase. Remember: Sons of Flame get priority (incidental AoE on the big guys), be prepared to kite your Flame trail around the outside of the room, and keep the big guys out of that trail (it heals them).

- If all the Sons are sub-50% and not imminently at the hammer, try to turn a couple instants onto the big guys (can you tell I don't know their name?). The sooner we get them down, the easier phase 3 will be. However, don't DPS the big guys at the expense of letting the Sons get too close. Those need to die.

Phase Three:

- Another phase that kind of took us by surprise. Not many had seen this phase, and that's understandable. If you get a fireball fixated on you, kite it around the outside. You can DPS it a little to knock it back, but do not knock it into the raid. We only got to see this phase once tonight, so it's something I know we'll perfect with awareness and preparation.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Once Ragnaros is down, we'll start on some of the easier hardmodes (Shannox and Rhyolith). We still have time before 4.3 drops, so we'll use that time to get even better gear and practice, and increase the drops that Jayme needs for his legendary.

Hence, I don't want everyone to get "comfortable". We're still looking for people to push the envelope. We were a bit behind when 4.2 dropped. We now have a chance to be a little bit ahead when 4.3 drops, so let's take advantage of that! If you need any help upping your efficiency, get with your team's captain for some help. I want everyone at their best!
Reumant
Officer
I play my own version of WoW

Dave here are some thoughts on Rag I had. I took a look back at Paragons method and they positioned on the far corners and dps them TOWARDS the lava not towards the door. So the kiter would move all the way over to the corner, DPS the meteorite, and then it will switch, Rinse/Repeat. As anyone NOT on focus of the meteorite you have to be very wary of where you are. There is a lot going on with shit on the ground and what not so there is a lot of stuff to be aware of around you. As important as it is for the kiter to get the meteorite out it is almost equally as important for the others to realize where the meteorite will be going and get out of the way. Also, that engulfing ?(forgot name) is always popping up so always be moving in and out if need be.

I think besides that our dps was good, and actually too good on the last attempt(), I guess we will just have to see where he is at compared to that 2nd transition into the 3rd phase.

Jeff Out, GO BREWERS!
Rykga
Officer
I got aggro!!

About the adds phase

This seems to be our biggest weakness. I don't know what is going on from a dps perspective, but from mine, it seems like most people are unsure of where to stand. If needed, consider putting up a positioning drawing on the forums so everyone can see where to stand.

Is there a reason why ranged are going so far out? It seems more logical to stand near the hammer (not too near the hammer of course) and dps the add outwards. It would cut down a lot on reaction time: There was one attempt where I Holy Wrathed, then Hammer of Justice an add about to hit the hammer, and not one ranged switched to it.

It was standing still for a several seconds, yet it still wiped us.

Had ranged on that side of the hammer been standing where they had a better view of adds about to hit the hammer, we wouldn't have wiped.

Also, you can see where the adds are going to spawn (he does this fireworks-like thing), so you should be in position and ready to the closest adds on either side before they even appear.

On the same topic but a different point, I was talking with another guild about the second transition phase and their trick is to keep the last Son of Flame alive by having a boomkin or a shaman constantly knock him back while they dps the big guys.

That way they avoid having adds and Rags up at the same time.

I know we don't always have a boomkin or an ele shaman, but on occasion that we do, it would be a good trick to try.

Adjusting to adversity

Again, this is only from my perspective, but it seems like we have a tough time making decisions on the fly and adjusting when something unexpected happens.

There was at least one attempt where the wipe was blamed on "the RNG". We have to accept that RNG won't always be on our side. We didn't wipe to the RNG, we wiped to our inability to react to the unexpected.

Quick decisions won't always be right, but they have a chance to be. Hesitation will almost invariably be wrong.

A Case for Two Healing

I think we can two heal this.

The only time where healing is really tricky is keeping the tanks up as we move to the center on phase 2 exploding seeds.

Otherwise, most of the other damage is avoidable and sporadic.

The extra dps would make it easier to get adds down and overall make the fight a lot shorter.

According to guides, it's possible for a holy pally to keep both tanks up, however I'm not sure how they position in phase 2 since I'm only in range of one tank during that phase.
Reumant
Officer
I play my own version of WoW

All good thoughts Jen and definitely something for us to take a look at and talk about as a team on tuesday/thursday.
Thespeus
Thespeus
Manager
MENSA Mentor

Definitely great points to consider. Overall, the biggest issues we have to grapple with are "coordination" during the transitions, and being able to avoid everything on the ground. There are some times when RNG can get us, but in the wipe that was blamed on RNG, I think Jen is right. We can stay on our toes and avoid everything that fight has to throw at us.

For the DPS during the transitions, I really do want you guys to brainstorm how to best distribute yourselves. I think that keeping everyone closer to the hammer would be in our best interest. Focus should be on the ones closest to the hammer. If there's a decent amount of room between it and the hammer (and it's sub-50%), then turn to make sure there aren't any that are flying towards the hammer. It's easy to get blinders during that phase. Take them off.

Inner City Kids

i agree with dave if the strat is to stay close then we need to burn the ones that are moving in fast first then finishing of the rest but we will need 2 ppl on the furthest adds that is if hammer is middle or we will have 2 adds in the fire and moving fast. also we may want to try have 1 tank grab both the big adds on the second phase change and the other tank helping with sons and grabing rag when he comes back

and if we want one holy pally healing the tanks we can change how we do the seeds by having everyone on one side since 6 yards isnt very far its easy and then when they come out everyone runs to the other side and stacks kills adds then waits for seeds and then runs back to the starting side that way everyone is on the same side. but a negative for two healing for us it seems is that we already dps the boss fast so the only bonus is 1 extra person on an add i think something we should try is assigning each dps an add to kill so having 2 high burst dmg on short side and those same two on the two closest adds to the hammer when in middle and then splitting the rest of the dps for long side and left and right sides for when the hammer is middle
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team Sport Forum Index -> Raiding All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: