View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespeus
Thespeus
Manager
MENSA Mentor

re: Raiding is a Team Sport [ARCHIVE]

**This is a post I wrote right before Firelands came out. The message is still important and worth a read** - Thes

Team Sport has always been a place that we've come to when we want to feel comfortable. We know each other; everyone gets along (for the most part). BGs together are fun, Arenas can be entertaining, and Raiding has always been a trip that a lot of us look forward to. Remember back in the BC days? Karazhan? As soon as that 8th person would sign on, we did everything we could (as a Team) to get the last ones on, even if we had to PUG it.

That was more than 3 years ago. We all had a whole bunch of time back then. We've all gotten more serious jobs, started careers, significant others, etc. Time is not that plentiful anymore. Some of us only play twice or three times a week.

It's that rarity that prompted us to want a more focused "schedule." We used to hate the idea, but as real lives started to take control, it started becoming a good idea. We all figured out when we could come together and enjoy this aspect of the game that--when you think about it--really was what most of us were excited to do.

We'd all help out. People would take turns explaining fights. Everyone would help find people to fill those last spots of the raid. We totally started to keep that going into the newer "schedule" that we created.

The way I brought up the Conquest idea was probably not the greatest, but the premise of the idea remains the same. I want the group of us that have the ability to raid together to do awesome. I don't strive for us to be Server First or anything, but I do want us to finish content while it's current. We're on the brink of 4.2 coming out. Firelands comes out. BoT/BWD/Tot4W all get nerfed by about 20%; they won't drop Valor Points anymore. We, once again, will still be behind the curve trying to catch up.

We've had our ups and downs. We've lost some people because of real-life, and change in interest. That's to be expected. We've made some great progression (9/12!!), which is totally kickass.

When we had our "discussion" on vent, I mentioned that I was starting to feel burnout. I was scheduling raids, plotting strategies, running the loot, analyzing the logs, updating the website, and what has felt like so much more. I mentioned that I had a grad class that was taking up my Tues/Thurs for 5 weeks. We just finished the 2nd week of that class. I gotta say, I'm feeling burnout, even though I'm not raiding.

I love getting texts from everyone that they're excited about raid. It's happened more times than I can count. Even after a raid ended, many of you have texted me with hope that "we'll get him next time" or with exclamations of "man, that was awesome!" Along with that, I've gotten texts from you that have said things along the line of: "Sucks that we didn't have enough people" or "Man, I wish we could've done more tonight". I know that raiding excites us. I feel it, and I see it. I know I'm not alone on this, but lately, it feels like I am.

With a couple of exceptions, it feels like we've slipped back into "pre-discussion" habits. People still just show up (sometimes whenever they want), and count that as their contribution. Yes, everyone's doing their part in raid by DPSing, Healing, or Tanking, but that's it, for the most part.

Recruiting

We've lost people. It happens. Purplepasion found another game. Pat is back with his friend. Juzzy has real life. Same with Jen and Jeremy. Again, it happens, but as our ranks dwindle, our chances of raiding consistently start to dip. We used to just recruit by word of mouth. It was fine for back then, but in terms of keeping raids going, it doesn't have the same effect. We've lost too many people to real life and haven't been able to fill those voids quick enough that way.

Look at what more aggressive recruiting brought us. It brought us Purple (if only for a while), Rykga, Dankel... these people that we identify with and who really like what we're about. They love the people, and they love the dedication. We've got Nibirue now, who seems like he's enjoying himself and seems to fit in with our vibe. He was found through my post in Trade Chat. Please don't discredit Trade Chat, Official Forums, Twitter, or any other ways that we can snag people. I need help. With the people that we've lost, I really feel like I'm the only one trying to get new people in.

Preparation

We're easily 6 months into this expansion, and hence, this tier of content. We've had a number of bosses down (and on farm) for a while. I love explaining fights or giving reminders or getting more specific about a mechanic. The videos for all of these bosses have been online since before we started raiding this tier. I've even posted videos in our forums. It's really disheartening to have to go over a boss that we've killed before...an entire explanation. If you missed the first night of a boss, it makes it so much easier to watch a video or have a basic knowledge of a fight before you step into the raid. With the limited amount of time that we raid, it wastes time to have to explain a fight again after the other 8-9 people have already downed it multiple times. Raiding should be just a little bit more than "show up and then leave".

The Rest

I really just don't know what to do, guys. There are a few of you that contribute to the success outside of raids, and I thank you for that. It's made things a lot easier overall. However, trying to keep this raid going so ALL OF US can enjoy it and see the content is starting to feel like a job.

I really feel like I'm expected to post the signups, track down people to see if they're available, decide where we're going that night, explain the fights, adjust what went wrong (for the most part), handle the loot, study the logs, find PuGs when we're short, recruit to fill people that have left for good, make suggestions for how to improve, etc. etc. These are things that we ALL should be doing. This TEAM that we have doesn't really feel like a team right now. Excuse the harshness, but it feels like a group that just wants to sign in, have stuff done for them, then log off when it's done or when it doesn't look like it's happening. I hate that.

This is what I thought people wanted--to down the content when it's current, to annihilate these bosses and maybe have a shot at hardmodes. If that's the case, then I really need people to step up and help out. (The only name I'll mention.) Jayme has done an awesome job of getting things together, too. However, lately it feels like people just don't think that they have to help out. 2 weeks without raiding is rough, and it's starting to wear on people. I don't believe that it's burnout, because when we're raiding, and when we're progressing, people are excited. It's this lull that's hurting us, and I'm doing everything I can to keep this lull from happening, but it's only going to be a scratch on the surface if everyone else doesn't do that, too. In no way do I mean to imply that "I'm all that matters", but it comes across as "Thes is gone, so we'll just slack off for a while". I hope that my grad class isn't being used as an excuse to not put the same effort in that we have been. Yes, Jenn is leaving, Pat is gone, Joseph was on vacation, but even when Joseph and I are back, we're still short people.

If that's not what you want, then I'm sorry. With the limited amount of time I have to play, I really look forward to putting a good portion of that time aside to raid the endgame content with people of the same mindset. I'm not okay with doing content when it's outdated. I'm not okay with putting this time aside, then having it just fall apart because of lack of commitment. I'm not okay with only being able to utilize part of that time when little things like watching videos or being ready to go are all that's needed.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I know that this lull is really frustrating some of you. It's frustrating me, too. If this is a "team", let's see what we can do....

Last edited by Thespeus on 06-24-2012 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spañiard!
Core Member
Inner City Kids

re: Raiding is a Team Sport [ARCHIVE]

Thes, let me start by saying, I love you man and thank you for your passion. The lull sucks balls... For me personally, I don't feel like I have the knowledge or experience that you or Jayme have to run a raid. I am doing my studying of boss fights, but if there is more that I can do to help out, and I hate to ask it man but I trust your direction, let me know.

I've had some "real life" crap pulling me from WoW a bit lately. I'm trying to get my schedule worked out and it's looking like I'll be more available on Tuesday and Thursday, we'll see...
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team Sport Forum Index -> Member Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: